Welcome To Pretoria, South Africa
Once a major site of segregation and the former headquarters of the Apartheid state, Pretoria is now a laid back city where people from all walks of life co-exist. The administrative capital of South Africa, this city is steeped in history and intrigue. Situated just 50 km from the bustling hub of Johannesburg, Pretoria is the multicultural home to a plethora of races, religions, cultures and ethnicities.
In a class of its own, expect a less energetic pace than Jo’burg, but a faster pace than the exceptionally laid back Cape Town. While the Afrikaans culture of South Africa reigns supreme in Pretoria, a multitude of other cultures can be found in this liberal city. Cultural enthusiasts and historians will not be disappointed with their travels to Pretoria, as the city is home to a myriad of museums, military and educational institutions and cultural experiences.
Located in the Gauteng province of South Africa, Pretoria is ideally situated just 50 kilometres from the business and economic heart of the country - Johannesburg. This convenient location allows visitors to enjoy the bustling City of Gold, while still being far enough when privacy and peace is required. Pretoria is also one of three capital cities in South Africa - the other two being Cape Town (legislative capital), and Bloemfontein (judicial capital).
Pretoria is home approximately one million people of all races and cultural ethnicities. The main languages spoken in the city include Tswana, Afrikaans, Ndebele, and English. The CBD is traditionally the central hub of business, government and commerce, however, in recent times, business have moved out of the CBD and alternatively started up in the lush and thriving suburbs.
Pretoria is one of the most urban and sophisticated cities in South Africa, not to mention Africa itself. Because of its close location to Johannesburg, Pretoria is home to a variety of accommodation options, including world class chain hotels like Sheraton. Here you will find a host of accommodations to suit your needs and budgets, from budget lodgings, to five star hotels. There are also a variety of mid-range hotels and guest houses to suit the less extravagant visitor who still enjoys comfort and quality.
Attractions and Activities
While not essentially a tourist destination, Pretoria is home to a variety of cultural, historical and wildlife experiences that you simply cannot afford to miss.
- Botanical Gardens - View a myriad of beautiful flora while enjoying your peaceful and serene surroundings.
- National Zoological Gardens (The Zoo) - The Zoo houses an aquarium and reptile park. Here you can enjoy viewing all the common large mammals.
- The Union Buildings - Designed by Sir Herbet Baker, this is the majestic location of the South African presidency.
- Wonderboom Nature Reserve - This reserve is home to a fig tree over 1 000 years old.
- Museums and galleries - Pretoria is a historical and cultural melting pot, and houses numerous galleries and museums, including the National Cultural Museum, Pioneer Museum, and Voortrekker Monument, Kruger House Museum, and Fort Scanskop.
- Friends of the Rail - An historical steam train journey through the enchanting city of Pretoria or visit Cullinan, the area where the world's biggest diamond was found.
- State Theatre - Catch a theatre production at the State Theatre.
- Groenkloof Nature Reserve - Here you can enjoy walks, mountainbiking, 4X4 drives and also get the opportunity to view giraffe, antelope, and a variety of other well known wildlife. Overnight stays is available.
- Austin Roberts Bird Sanctuary - View a variety of birds.