Fly with American Airline
American Airlines is one of the world's largest airlines. It is also one of the largest in the United States, where it is based. The airline received Texas Commission on Environmental Quality's 2005 Governor's Award. They are one of the founders of the Altitude Award, which awards television ads for creating positive imagery of disabled people. The company has had many innovations in its history.
American Airlines Checking In
For domestic travel, travellers with no baggage must check in 60 minutes prior to scheduled departure. If checking baggage, check-in is 90 minutes prior. For international travel, check-in is 120 minutes prior to scheduled departure.
American Airlines Carry-On Baggage
One carry-on item limited to 45 linear inches, and one personal item, is allowed per traveller. A seat can be purchased to carry a large or fragile suitcase.
American Airlines Seating Options
Pre-assigned seating is available. The legroom is 30 - 34 inches.
American Airlines History
American Airlines is an amalgamation of various small aviation companies. It started in 1928 when Embry-Riddle Company formed The Aviation Corporation. The new corporation's purpose was to buy up smaller airlines. It did a fantastic job: it got interests in more than 90 such companies. Robertson Aircraft Corporation was one of these smaller companies and Charles A. Lindbergh was the chief pilot. These small airlines became a single company - American Airways - in 1930. The head office was in New York and they flew to Boston, New York, Chicago, and Dallas. This lasted until 1934, when E.L. Cord bought the company and named it American Air Lines. The company started trading on the stock exchange in 1939 and began their expansion.
Facts about American Airlines
- The airline created the world's first airline lounge - Admirals Club. This was an exclusive invite-only club that later became a paid club.
- American Airlines was the first major US airline to hire women pilots - Bonnie Tiburzi was the first pilot.
- American Airlines allows travelling with pets. Pets travelling with passengers must be checked in at the ticket counter.
- American Airlines offers in-flight service like snacks and beverages for purchase and complimentary meals
- American Airlines has a Boeing and Airbus airline fleet
- For flights to international destinations, one piece checked baggage and one carry-on item are allowed free of charge
- Extra seats can be booked for special baggage